Today we are going to talk about refrigerator defrost heater replacement. As a rule, the modern fridge always comes with an Auto Defrost system which automates the process of defrosting of freezing compartment, meaning that the defrost heater (evaporator) of fridge takes care of it. The Auto Defrost system in refrigerators originates from 1957 in the US. The advantages of this system include the fact that the refrigerator does not require manual defrosting, the fact that the given temperature is distributed over the entire area of the refrigerator, and the absence of frost on the refrigerator walls.
Now let’s talk about possible malfunctions of the refrigerator defrost heater. One of the common defrost system malfunctions is a non-functioning heater element. Continued use of a refrigerator with a faulty defrost system can lead to a more severe breakdown. In some models of No Frost system refrigerators, where the evaporator is mounted on top, the defrost system will show signs of malfunction in the evaporator area.
What indicates a faulty heating element?
Failure of the heating element is a fairly common phenomenon. The main causes of its failure are two factors:
- Frequent voltage fluctuations in the network;
- Long periods of non-operation in a running refrigerator with a door that is not tightly closed.
We recommend adhering to the rules of operation, to use a voltage stabilizer to smooth the power surges, and to contact the specialists immediately if you suspect any malfunctions. Evaporator heaters cannot be repaired, but are immediately replaced with a similar device. The reason for this lies in the difficulty of access to the defrosting element. It will be necessary to disassemble almost the entire inner chamber, to get through numerous panels and wires. Selection and repair should be entrusted only to experienced professionals. Let’s look at the main signs of a heating element malfunction, these include:
- Lack of cold in the refrigerator compartment;
- Insufficient amount of cold in the freezer compartment;
- Ice forming on the back wall of the freezer compartment;
- Unusual noise in the freezer compartment.
How to replace refrigerator defrost heater?
After conducting the necessary diagnostics, you have come to the conclusion that your defrost system does not work. Service to this system requires some experience and special tools. Here is a summary of the work to replace the defrost heater:
- Turn off the refrigerator from the electricity network;
- It is necessary to disassemble the back wall (remove the plastic panel), which can be fastened on with screws or on latches, depending on what model of the refrigerator. In some models the evaporator is on top of the freezer;
- Disconnect all wires from defrost heater;
- Slide the evaporator away from the wall;
- Bend back the heater mount and remove it;
- Replace the element with a new one and install the heater in the reverse order.
With the replacement of the defrost heater we are done. If you are wondering if your fridge defrost heater are working properly just call +1(727)350-9322 or use our online booking system and we will send a technician to your home. Our expert will diagnose the problem and tell you the cost of parts and labor. If you agree to the price, they will proceed with repairs to your appliances. And because we are committed to customer satisfaction, we hope you take the time to leave us a positive review on Yelp or Google!