The compressor in a refrigerator is a critical component that helps regulate the temperature inside the appliance. It is normal for the compressor to get hot as it operates, but if the heat becomes excessive, it could indicate a problem. In this article, we will discuss the reasons why your refrigerator’s compressor may be hot and what you can do about it.
Why is the compressor in my refrigerator hot and is it normal?
Reasons for a Hot Compressor:
- Overloading the Refrigerator: When the refrigerator is overloaded with food or drinks, it can put added strain on the compressor, causing it to overheat.
- Dirty Condenser Coils: The condenser coils, located on the back or bottom of the refrigerator, help dissipate heat from the compressor. If these coils are dirty, they can obstruct the natural flow of air, leading to a hot compressor.
- Failed Start Relay: The start relay is a small component that helps the compressor turn on and off. If the start relay fails, the compressor may overheat and shut down.
- Refrigerant Leaks: If there is a leak in the refrigerant system, the compressor may have to work harder to maintain the desired temperature, causing it to overheat.
Tips on what to do if the compressor in your refrigerator is hot
Tips for Dealing with a Hot Compressor:
- Check the Load: If you believe your refrigerator is overloaded, try removing some items to see if it makes a difference.
- Clean the Condenser Coils: Regular cleaning of the condenser coils can help prevent excessive heat buildup in the compressor.
- Call a Professional: If you are unsure what is causing the hot compressor, it is best to call a professional for a proper diagnosis and repair.
At SAR Cooling and Appliance Repair, we specialize in diagnosing and repairing refrigerators in the Tampa Bay Area. Our team of experienced technicians is equipped to handle any issue, big or small, and get your appliance back in top working condition.
Refrigerator compressor repair in the Tampa Bay Area
In conclusion, a hot compressor in a refrigerator can be caused by a variety of factors, from an overloaded refrigerator to a failed start relay. If you are experiencing a hot compressor, it is important to address the issue promptly to prevent further damage and to ensure that your refrigerator is functioning properly. Simply call us on +1(727)350-9322 or use our online booking system and we will send a technician to your home. Our master will diagnose the problem and tell you the cost of parts and labor. If you agree to the price, they will earn the privilege of repairing your household appliance. And because we are committed to customer satisfaction, we hope you will take the time to leave us a positive review on Yelp or Google!